Non-Dischargeable Debts in Utah
Non-dischargeable debts in Utah are debts that cannot be discharged in Chapter 7 bankruptcy or Chapter 13 bankruptcy. If you file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, you will be responsible for paying your non-dischargeable debts after your dischargeable debts have been discharged. They are also debts that you will have to include in your repayment plan under Chapter 13 bankruptcy.
Non-dischargeable debts include the following:
• Debts related to family support, including child support, alimony and other familial debts.
• Debts after you were found guilty of driving while intoxicated.
• Student loan debt that you cannot prove would cause you an undue hardship if you were forced to repay it.
• Fines you received from breaking the law.
• Tax debts from three years ago and other tax debts.
• Debts that your creditors remind the bankruptcy court of after you fail to list them.
Possible Non-Dischargeable Debts
Your judge can also declare that other debts are non-dischargeable if your creditors refuse to allow these debts to be discharged. These include the following:
• Debts that came from a fraud that you committed.
• Credit card purchases in the amount of at least $1,150 made within two months of filing for bankruptcy.
• Loans in the amount of at least $1,150 that you took out within two months before filing for bankruptcy.
• Debts that you owe for intentional injury to another person or someone else’s property.
• Debts that you incurred because you committed breach of trust, larceny or embezzlement.
• Debts that you owe after a divorce unless you cannot afford to pay them after your bankruptcy.
Contact the Mountain View Law Group
If you need the services of an Ogden bankruptcy lawyer, contact us at Mountain View Law Group. Our bankruptcy attorney Ogden will meet with you and determine whether or not bankruptcy is right for you. Bankruptcy isn’t always the best option for everyone, but only an Ogden bankruptcy attorney can help you decide that. If so, our Utah bankruptcy attorney will stop foreclosures, bill collectors and repossessions from making your life miserable. Contact us today.
Our clients rave about their experiences with Mountain View Law Group. Check out what they have to say.